I have never done anything like this before, but I wanted to make something special for my friend who is having a baby in December, so I decided to make a baby quilt. Now that it’s finally been gifted I can post about it! I ended up in a two week crunch to get it done – which I don’t ever plan to do again in my lifetime – but it still turned out pretty good for a first major sewing project!
I found the idea and instructions on (where else?) Pinterest. The idea is simple, it’s simply a baby quilt of 48 sqares. The fun part of it (for me anyway) is the backing that is made of the super soft minky fabric. (I LOVE this fabric! It made the blanket SO soft. I want a grown-up sized baby blanket now. ;)) Below are some pictures of the process and a rough timeline of how I got it done in time.
Day 1: buy fabric – this ended up being a lot harder than I thought it would be, even though I knew the color scheme of the nursery. I just kept second guessing myself and it took forever and three trips to Hobby Lobby plus one to Michaels for me to actually make a decision!
I ended up going with the navy bundle on the left, but got my gray squares from Michaels, because they were cheaper and the patterns seemed a little softer.
This is the fabric I used for the backing.
The gray squares I went with from Michaels.
Day 2: wash fabric and iron – easier said than done! Because I had mixed navy with gray and white I had to go get some color catchers to throw in the wash with it so the colors wouldn’t bleed. I also have no idea where our iron is so I ended up borrowing my MiL’s.
Days 3-4: cut fabric – this was tedious and my perfectionist self analyzed every single piece that I cut for where it wasn’t perfect, but I actually did enjoy this step.
Days 5-7: decide a layout and sew rows together – this was probably the second hardest part after the binding (the layout, not the sewing rows together). I arranged and rearranged and rearranged again. I still wasn’t 100% happy with it when I started sewing, but now when I look at the pictures I love it!
One of the many layouts I tried. I think this is the one I went with.
The top of the quilt all stitched together. (Please excuse the poor photo quality/attention to backgrounds.)
Day 8: day off! I ended up working all day that day and had plans in the evening. Plus the Olympics were on. Priorities.
Day 9: hand stich the name – I really wanted to embroider the name, but I didn’t think my friend was going to anounce it. It turned out the evening before (day 8…..while I was watching the Olympics ;)) she posted their name choice on Facebook! I spent all morning stitching it using an awesome tutorial I found on Pinterest. It actually turned out pretty good!
Definitely not perfect, but it turned out better than I thought it would!
Days 10-11: spray the batting with temporary adhesive and attach the completed front and back and then quilt down the rows and columns between the squares – this part took a while but it was probably the most rewarding, really seeing it all come together.
This was probably my favorite part to see the progress. Some of the lines are crooked, but for the most part this step went really well.
Day 12: trim the extra backing and then fold it over and sew as binding – this was the part that made me want to pull my hair out and scream. I spent all day on this step. BUT the best part of this step was when I finished, I was DONE!
While I never want to have to do a project like this with a two week deadline again, I had so much fun with it and can’t wait to try another one! (which may be awhile judging by the way my husband reacted to the Hobby Lobby receipts………) Oops. 😉